Fields of research
The application of biodegradable polymers plays an important role both in medicine and pharmacy. Research is focused on the following areas:
- Processing of problematic drugs using biodegradable polymers as a matrix.
- Particularly with proteins and peptides the problem of little in-vivo stability is avoided by controlled delivery of the active substance due to polymer erosion.
- Tissue Engineering.
- Biodegradable polymers serve as a scaffold for the development of tissue used for transplantation.
- Effects of growth factors in the Tissue Engineering of articular cartilage
- Development of biodegradable implants for local therapy of malignant tumors
- Drug delivery devices for peptide drugs based on lipids
- Polymer Cell Carrier: NeuroProfile GmbH (www.neuroprofile.de)
- Injektable depot systems: Novartis (www.novartis.com)
- Microarticles for parenteral Applications: Sanofi-Aventis (www.sanofi-aventis.com)
- Tissue Engineering of Bone: Prof. Nerlich, University of Regensburg
- Implants for tumour therapy: Prof. Buschauer, University of Regensburg
- Biomimetic polymers: Prof. Mikos, Rice University (Houston)