Fields of research
Articular cartilage has a very limited capacity for self-regeneration after injury. Therefore, ex vivo cell expansion and subsequent transplantation of autologous chondrocytes is one approach. Alternatively, the use of pluripotent mesenchymal stem cells in place of committed tissue-specific cells represents an exciting different technique.
Organisation, stability and functionality of tissues and organs are dependent on composition and integrity of their extracellular matrices.
- Tissue Engineering: Chondrogenic differentiation potential of adult mesenchymal stem cells in coculture with articular cartilage, Autologous chondrocyte transplantation
- Gene Silencing: RNA-interference as tool for knockdown of specific genes, In situ regeneration of articular cartilage
- Extracellular matrix: Structural and functional properties of collagen XVI, Influence of neuropeptides and catecholamines on endochondral bone formation, Role of collagen IX during adult enchondral bone formation and embryonic skeletogenesis, Gene expression and micro-architecture of trabecular bone in patients with aseptic osteoneocrosis of the femoral head and patients with hip osteoathristis, POMC system in articular cartilage, Regeneration capacities of OA-cartilage
- "Chondrogenic differentiation potential": Prof. A. Göpferich, Univ. of Regensburg; Dr. M. Schulz, Univ. of Leipzig; "In situ regeneration": Prof. Wiltrud Richter, Univ. of Heidelberg; PD. Dr. Henning Madry, Univ. Hospital of Saarland; "Properties of collagen XVI": Prof. Gerhard Rogler, Univ. of Regensburg; Dr. Volker Senner, Univ. of Münster; Dr. Agnes Fichard-Carroll, Univ. of Montpellier, France; Prof. ML Chu, Thomas Jefferson Univ., Philadelphia, USA; "Collagen IX in skeletogenesis": Prof. P. Bruckner, Univ. of Münster; Prof. Mats Paulsson, Univ. of Cologne
- Fracturehealing: PD Dr. A. Probst, Hegau-Klinikum, Singen; Prof. Dr. Rainer Straub, Univ. of Regensburg; Dr. Thomas Schubert, Univ. of Regensburg
- Aseptic osteonecrosis of the femoral head: Ludwig-Maximilian Univ. of Munich
- POMC-system: PD Dr. Markus Böhm, Dept. Dermatology, Univ. of Münster
- Regeneration of OA - cartilage: Verigen / Genzyme, Neu-Isenburg